The church of Panagia Evangelistria
The Church of Panagia of Tinos was built by the architect Efstratios Smyrnaios in 1823 from marble and stone at the spot where the icon was found after related visions of the nun Agia Pelagia.
The icon was discovered after excavations on January 30, 1823.
It was considered, during the period of the Greek revolution, a good omen. For this reason Kolokotronis, Miaoulis, Nikitaras and Makrygiannis visited the island. The church of Panagia is an imposing building made of white marble and is located in a prominent position in the country of Tinos.
The rhythm of the temple is a three-aisled basilica with a dome.
To the left of the entrance from the main gate is the iconostasis, in which the icon of the Virgin is kept, which is full of offerings from the faithful.
The founders collected archaeological finds from Tinos and Delos. The initial effort evolved into a museum. An exhibition of icons has been operating in the parish churches of Tinos since 1956.
Of particular interest is the Charter of Riga Velestinli, one of the 51 authentic ones, the patriarchal seal of Patriarch Gregory V, the ring of Th. Kolokotronis, his dedication to the Virgin Mary.
The most important holidays are:
January 30 celebrates the finding of the icon of the Annunciation of the Virgin.
March 25, the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary. Several thousand people come to the island that day.
July 23 is the anniversary of the vision of Agia Pelagia.
On August 15, the Dormition of the Virgin Mary is celebrated, with thousands of people flooding the island.